Feb 24, 2010

emergency room

I haven't said much about what happened last weekend, mainly because I didn't want to worry anyone.

Here is my brief story. I was having a hard time breathing, and I was out of my prescription for nebulizer albuterol. After testing my lunch function and finding it was well below the danger level, we decided to go in for a breathing treatment. I saw a wonderful dr in the ER, who was very concerned with me and the baby, and immediately ordered a breathing treatment. After completing the breathing treatment, the nurse brought an iv in and hooked me up. I asked her what was in the IV, and she said steroids. I wasn't surprised because my lung function was terribly low, and they want to prevent pneumonia, which I have had twice. While I was on the IV, the dr came in and let me know they would release me with prescriptions for albuterol and steroids, but that I didn't need antibiotics because there was no fever.
Less than 5 minutes after the Dr left, the nurse came in with another IV bag. I asked her what was in it, and she said "antibiotics." I told her that the dr had said I didn't need those, and not to give them to me. She started to argue with me, and tell me that the dr ordered it, etcetera.
I would not let her give me the IV, and I insisted that she confirm with the Dr. She left and came back about twenty minutes later, confessing that there was a mixup with the charts, because they have electronic charting, and yes, I was correct i didn't need that medication.
Let me say here, that the nurse and the Dr. were both what I would call competent, I'm not sure if it was the hospital procedures or just one of those things.

I did not react well to one of the medicines they gave me, and about an hour after I left the ER I noticed that my arms and face were numb. the numbness progressively spread, and eventually my entire body was numb and my limbs were heavy. We returned to the ER where we waited for two hours (I guess it was not as serious as a sprained ankle)Eventually they took me back, but by then I was contracting because of the stress from a ten hour day at the ER. They sent me to l& d who decided I wasn't in labor, and told me I could go back to the ER or go home. It wasn't getting worse, so I opted to go home. It eventually worked its way out of my system over the next couple of days.

Please, please please, be your own advocate and watch them carefully when you are in the ER or even at your regular dr. Don't feel like you are being rude or ungrateful for the care you are receiving.

♥Bre

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Absolutely- no hospital is perfect! Glad you're feeling better and baby is ok. By the way, what is a lunch function?? ;)